The Inquisitive Hand Blogger Blog

A Blogger Blog for Religion, Money and Conspiracy

Today's Message: Open your minds, Expand your thoughts, Find meaning.

Thursday, July 21, 2005

Obesity in the States

I'm currently on holiday in the States and my experience so far has been very enlightening, not to say the least. I've seen the Statue of Liberty (which is about as big as my house), Penn Station, Empire State Building and even the US Postal Service HQ in Central New York. However, out of all of the amazing sites I have seen, the most intriguing has to be the people. I must go back to a statement that I use regularly, "Famine in the East is as rife as Obesity is in the West". Firstly, I must say, what a shame. Secondly, I must point out that it is due to a number of factors for ordinary families living in the United States. I have identified the following:
  • After looking for a Sports Centre in the phone directory I only found 1 in the entire of New Jersey, which in fact didn't offer adequate facilities for playing Badminton. The thing that was most shameful was that there were like 20 or 30 businesses which actually made tennis and badminton courts for people in their own homes. How odd.
  • I'm currently staying with some family and I have found that everyday the parent's of my little cousins buy them take away food. They all look like 18 stones and are 15 years of age and younger. They are clinically, biologically, chemically, academically, generally and officially OBESE (and yes, it does have to be written in CAPS). The take away food (and yes, of course I've tried some, I'm in the US) tastes like a rotting Dog whose face has been opened with a cap opener (to be graphic). The rice, vegetables and everything else is fried and doused in more oil than you can extract from a rat's legs. Again, what a grave shame.
  • The government of the US do not seem to care about any sort of initiatives to (1) Save energy and (2) Save lives by promoting and enforcing healthy eating. In America, I have seen my cousins leave their computers and everything else on all night. America is the only continent that has not signed the Kyoto Agreement to reduce global warming. Even Antarctica has signed it and they have no government. There seems to be a lot of over wastage and over usage of resources at the same time. I am seriously appalled I'm sorry to say.

However, It's not all a negative experience, I'm having a great time and everyone should experience the American lifestyle one time in their lives if no more. This is the place of opportunity, money and business, which all of you shall know, I simply love. At the same time, I've thought of ways to combat this obesity and wastage and to help drive the Unites States into a more wonderful country:

  • Have more Sub Ways. No, I'm not talking about underground trains but instead about the company which sells freshly made Sandwiches. I think they're a bloody God send. You MUST try one and you'll be hooked. They're downright tasty, full of flavor (notice the lack of 'u'), at a good price and healthier than you'll ever know. They're splendid in every way.
  • The government need to charge the people of US a little more tax so that the economy can become more buoyant again with more government spending and less borrowing and lots of redevelopment. The extra pool of money can be spent building public sports facilities than sustain themselves by charging 'tiny' fees to people who use them.
  • The government can add more legislation to the existing fast food businesses to make it harder for them to produce unhealthy food. At least if the current generation cannot be saved, then we can save the next generation else face grave unquantifiable consequences.
  • Parents need to attend courses on healthy eating and be given lots of information on the problems obesity can cause. Education is a key weapon to combat this problem.

All in all I think the US will have to wake up, if not now, then soon. They shall have to face these issues and act to improve the lives of the citizens of the US. God Bless America and In God We Trust to help us, help ourselves. I thought obesity in the UK was bad, but I was gravely mistaken. Now I must go downstairs and eat the vile take away food that has been ordered because no one can be arsed to cook a fresh, healthy meal (not even me). Again I shall have to cleverly bin the food when no one is looking so to not cause offence. But, you know what needs to be done, go fly people, FLY and SAVE THE WORLD!

12 Inquisitives:

  • At 11:53 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If you as a foreigner think it's bad, you should see how those of us (and there are plenty, actually, we're just hiding) who are actually underweight or right-on feel about the obese. It's shameful. You think we want that label? Obesity is a result of laziness. There are all these diets and surgeries and suchnot people can undergo, but if they would just get off their lazy asses and stop playing video games, ate plain healthy food and went out and EXERCISED, the problem would be solved. It's about individual willpower. When I'm out running and see a family at the park and all of their children are sprawled on the grass playing Gameboy, I seriously almost snap and beat some sense into them. I've said it once and I'll say it again. I'm more often ashamed to be an American than proud, and it's because of the stupid yet populous part of our citizens that ruin it for everyone. .

     
  • At 8:56 pm, Blogger Jazz said…

    good comment, i must say.

     
  • At 2:28 pm, Blogger J Incarnate said…

    This was certainly an interesting article. As a proud citizen of the United States, I must say that it is true that America is the most obese country in the world. Personally, I do not like fast food very much, it is quite greasy. Also, I always thought that western Europe was having a problem with the fast food craze. I have never been there so I don't know. It's been a long time since I last visited this site. Do you like my new profile photo?

     
  • At 6:03 pm, Blogger Jazz said…

    Jedith, if I said I liked your photo then this would be a gross lie. This is simply due to its grave inaccuracy of events and also, upon closer inspection, the American flag can still be seen. It also remains to be proved whether the Moon landing even happened at all. However, it is true to say that Europe is having a food craze but not on the mass scale as can be seen in the States. Again, how shameful.

     
  • At 9:31 pm, Blogger J Incarnate said…

    Not to be mean, but I believe the only reason you dislike my profile picture is because it depicts a French flag, and the British and the French don't really like each other.

     
  • At 11:44 pm, Blogger Jazz said…

    True say, true say.

     
  • At 2:16 pm, Blogger J Incarnate said…

    BLOG SPAM! It is just becoming a major problem now as advertisers notice the alarming number of the world's population reverting to blogs in an attempt at self expression. Pathetic on the advertisor's part.

     
  • At 1:39 pm, Blogger Jazz said…

    The article (SPAM) posted was however quite interesting, if it is true that is, which in 9 cases out of a billion. Now there's figures for you (generated out of my rear end).

     
  • At 3:14 pm, Blogger J Incarnate said…

    When you say "generated out of my rear end", are you trying to insult me?

     
  • At 7:46 pm, Blogger Jazz said…

    No, no...not at all. However, by saying that sentence you just insulted yourself. Life is a big con, and you've just become a mere pawn. How shameful, how shameful.

     
  • At 3:42 pm, Blogger J Incarnate said…

    Sorry, sometimes I have trouble picking up subtle undertones. I was not trying to accuse you of anything, I just need to know when I need to fire back comments in order to stip up a debate. By the way, you seem to have a pretty depressing outlook on life. There are trustworthy people in this world. We are not all a bunch of barbarians throwing meaningless insults to and fro.

     
  • At 7:57 pm, Blogger Jazz said…

    "We are not all a bunch of barbarians throwing meaningless insults to and fro." Really? Then PROVE it. (Now there is your cue to fire back with an angry comment, however, if you do so then you shall prove me right because then you would have become a barbarian. You are therefore left with only one option, to do nothing.)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home