Obesity in the States
- After looking for a Sports Centre in the phone directory I only found 1 in the entire of New Jersey, which in fact didn't offer adequate facilities for playing Badminton. The thing that was most shameful was that there were like 20 or 30 businesses which actually made tennis and badminton courts for people in their own homes. How odd.
- I'm currently staying with some family and I have found that everyday the parent's of my little cousins buy them take away food. They all look like 18 stones and are 15 years of age and younger. They are clinically, biologically, chemically, academically, generally and officially OBESE (and yes, it does have to be written in CAPS). The take away food (and yes, of course I've tried some, I'm in the US) tastes like a rotting Dog whose face has been opened with a cap opener (to be graphic). The rice, vegetables and everything else is fried and doused in more oil than you can extract from a rat's legs. Again, what a grave shame.
- The government of the US do not seem to care about any sort of initiatives to (1) Save energy and (2) Save lives by promoting and enforcing healthy eating. In America, I have seen my cousins leave their computers and everything else on all night. America is the only continent that has not signed the Kyoto Agreement to reduce global warming. Even Antarctica has signed it and they have no government. There seems to be a lot of over wastage and over usage of resources at the same time. I am seriously appalled I'm sorry to say.
However, It's not all a negative experience, I'm having a great time and everyone should experience the American lifestyle one time in their lives if no more. This is the place of opportunity, money and business, which all of you shall know, I simply love. At the same time, I've thought of ways to combat this obesity and wastage and to help drive the Unites States into a more wonderful country:
- Have more Sub Ways. No, I'm not talking about underground trains but instead about the company which sells freshly made Sandwiches. I think they're a bloody God send. You MUST try one and you'll be hooked. They're downright tasty, full of flavor (notice the lack of 'u'), at a good price and healthier than you'll ever know. They're splendid in every way.
- The government need to charge the people of US a little more tax so that the economy can become more buoyant again with more government spending and less borrowing and lots of redevelopment. The extra pool of money can be spent building public sports facilities than sustain themselves by charging 'tiny' fees to people who use them.
- The government can add more legislation to the existing fast food businesses to make it harder for them to produce unhealthy food. At least if the current generation cannot be saved, then we can save the next generation else face grave unquantifiable consequences.
- Parents need to attend courses on healthy eating and be given lots of information on the problems obesity can cause. Education is a key weapon to combat this problem.
All in all I think the US will have to wake up, if not now, then soon. They shall have to face these issues and act to improve the lives of the citizens of the US. God Bless America and In God We Trust to help us, help ourselves. I thought obesity in the UK was bad, but I was gravely mistaken. Now I must go downstairs and eat the vile take away food that has been ordered because no one can be arsed to cook a fresh, healthy meal (not even me). Again I shall have to cleverly bin the food when no one is looking so to not cause offence. But, you know what needs to be done, go fly people, FLY and SAVE THE WORLD!