The Inquisitive Hand Blogger Blog

A Blogger Blog for Religion, Money and Conspiracy

Today's Message: Open your minds, Expand your thoughts, Find meaning.

Saturday, June 11, 2005

Incitement to Religious Hatred

Religion is a shamAs you all should know by now (I only found out yesterday), the Public Order Act 1986 is being extended to make it an offence to incite Religious Hatred (I already see trouble brewing). But what does this really mean? The Home Office website attempts to explain the Act (the word to focus on is 'attempts') but still I remain somewhat mystified as to what this really means, because from what I've gathered this new law seems to be a load of horse's testicles (in the kindest possible way to the horse), which is providing our police with uncessesary powers.

Is the Order implying that if I make a religion in which the meaning of life is cannibalistic: to eat 300 humans, and then if someone begins to swear at me on the street and calling my religion names and begins to urinate on me as I try to walk away, then those people shall be inciting religious hatred against me and can be arrested? How odd and a shame on the people that have to spend 7 years in prison because I as a follower of religion should be protected from such people (sarcasm).

The Order claims that the following people could be arrested:
Individuals and members of extremist and racist organisations and parties who stir up hatred of groups defined by their religious beliefs. Also, religious extremists who stir up hatred against members of other religions.

What I would like to know is what is the difference between an extremist and a person who likes to fully use their powers of freedom of speech? I say this because the Home Office claims that the following situations are not covered by the new legislation:

Criticising the beliefs, teachings or practices of a religion or its followers; for example by claiming that they are false or harmful;

Consider this situation. I am a person who wishes to find a flaw in a so called "religion" and so I find that Christianity, Islam and all other faiths are not only untrue, they are also going to be the cause of the end of human existence. I am the only person which knows this and in order to tell the world of my findings, I am forced to preach what I consider to be the Truth by only using my freedom of speech. However, the rest of the world (because everyone believes in the same lie and perceives that lie as truth) is against me and accuses me of religious incitement. Now what would the law do in this situation?

If the law arrests me then they have not done justice because they are then guilty of stopping me from saving the world and have also took away my birth right to the freedom of speech. Also, they have arrested me on false grounds because as far as I am concerned, I was only using the full extent of freedom of speech which the people grossly misinterpreted as incitement. If however the law does not arrest me then what reflection is this on that law? I'll tell you! It tells us that this law is about as useful as a rat on ASBOs.

The following questions are raised and remain unanswered by this law:

  • If everyone believes in a fallacy, does it make it the Truth? Surely the Act is based on individual judgment of what can be considered to be extreme and the law could be guilty of defending a set of beliefs over another set of beliefs, which is not the purpose of justice
  • Why should anyone get to decide how extremism differs from freedom of speech?
  • The law has been made in the attempt to patch a loophole in the system whereby Sikh and Jews are protected from religious incitement but Christianity and Islam are not. However, is this law not creating a whole new loophole of its own by creating a conflict between freedom of speech and by attempting to define an extremist?
  • Why should a government intervene in regulating so called "religious incitement" when the very cause of this incitement is the freedom of speech?
  • I can predict that the introduction of this law is going to create more problems than it will solve. If this is so then what is the point of introducing this law in the first place?
  • Religion is really only a set of beliefs. In the same way I could believe that the world is flat but it does not make it so. The truth is that some so called "religions" deserve to be eradicated from this Earth because they cause only war, destroy innocent people, are only concerned with profit margins and destroy our basics freedoms of life which so many have died to protect
However, I can see that the law was introduced in good faith but it still remains one of those "grey" legislations that needs to be torn apart and recycled. Also, I cannot answer these questions, partly because I cannot be bothered to, but at least the issue is out in the open and I hope that our government shall clarify it, which they currently do not have a track record of doing (like...at all) and I hope that the government shall do justice, if to no one else, then at least the horse that has been disgraced at the beginning of this article. Good day my fellow feathery ferrets.

13 Inquisitives:

  • At 9:23 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You know, ordering people to link your blog is one thing, but building loyalty is another. Maybe if you just posted as per usual on someone's blog they would do the same and before you know it, you're linked. Judging by the repetitive "0 comments" here, you may need it. But from one ambitious piece of arrogance to another, you've got potential.

     
  • At 10:10 pm, Blogger Jazz said…

    In the marketing world we call it viral marketing. However, I have posted on sooo many blogs that I cannot seem to remember posting on yours. There are therefore 2 possibilities. 1 - that you are doing to me what you've seen me do to others and are therefore highly evil OR.... 2 - that you are just plain evil. I would hope it's the latter, however, it's probably more likely the former.

    But just to make it clear, I have not ORDERED anyone to link to anywhere...if you have done so then you did it out of your free will. Unless ofcourse you're claiming that I somehow controlled your mind (cough).

    My intent is not to build loyality (although that would be a logical course of action), my aim is instead to help people to think and I think I've achieved it.....even if it was through viral means. But then again...this world is a viral place.

     
  • At 10:50 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    And someone OBVIOUSLY has tons of experience in the "marketing world." I'm not sure I would call myself evil though, or highly evil for that matter. I suppose I just like challenging people, not to mention building loyalties. I mean, had I not have stumbled across your blog, you still would have been staring down an empty comments counter. I do have a relevant point lurking around here somewhere... oh yes. We live in a world built on belief. For example, whether or not you believe in God, you have to admit that people do some pretty helpful things in his name, right? So even if their belief isn't a correct one, it's still having positive, present and down-to-Earth effects. I think athiests should be able appreciate that. Belief, baseless or not, is a poweful force to be reckoned with.

     
  • At 1:28 am, Blogger Jazz said…

    You have said "I suppose I just like challenging people" and this is exactly what i'm trying to do. Challenge people's minds and belief systems so that they are not only logical but right.

    In a sense you are correct in saying that sometimes pointless beliefs have good effects but the issue still remains that some people's beliefs lack logic and meaning. The meaning of life is what I'm helping people to find of their own accord and to find such a precious jewel requires that a person challenge every aspect of what they deem to be True.

    The Inquisitive Hand is a single martial arts move using the hand. It belongs to the Martial art of Wing Chung. The martial art teaches that people can find their true state through martial arts, a state where they are poised, calm and enlightened. My friend, life without meaning is DEATH.

     
  • At 12:07 am, Blogger J Incarnate said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 12:25 am, Blogger J Incarnate said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 12:27 am, Blogger J Incarnate said…

    May I say something, in the United States, we look out for each other, and this includes fellow bloggers, so I am now declaring a state of "subtle hostility" on behalf of all who visit Dem's blog or my blog.

     
  • At 2:52 pm, Blogger Jazz said…

    I don't know why you deleted your comments, but I would have loved to hear your views, as extreme as they may be.

    Jedith I am unaware of what you exactly mean.

     
  • At 6:15 pm, Blogger J Incarnate said…

    By "subtle hostility" I mean if you make a slanderous move on dem, then I will fight by his side, as he will do for me.

     
  • At 1:39 am, Blogger Jazz said…

    If you fight the Inquisitive Hand, there is only one promise I can make, you'll both die trying. And I always keep my promises. (the air of silence becomes deafening, as the inquisitive hand strikes, in the middle of night, on a full cresent moon, where it grows in a cocoon and out comes a loon, so scary that it's very glance is a glace of anti-life. Amen?)

     
  • At 4:39 am, Blogger Black Cat said…

    ooook (??)

    it amazes me how seriously people take arguments. live and be free, people.

     
  • At 12:12 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    children! seriously, people, and two other things: 1)don't be like that, jedith, no one wants your opinions if it's not your battle.
    2)I actually have an opinion ON this post: this is why America has the 1st amendment on our Bill of Rights. Anyone who has taken civics for 10 minutes can tell you that, even my best bud Black Cat who's NEVER taken civics, EVER!
    Thx,Penguin

     
  • At 1:08 am, Blogger Jazz said…

    Again, it seems I'm out of the loop (or more probably, out of my mind) because I don't know what civics actually are. Are they civilians that have been crushed by ancient dinosuars on a rampage or are they drugs that you're allowed to legally take as a US citizen? Enlighten me.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home